Author Topic: Do vegans eat candy?  (Read 7018 times)

Terribilis

Do vegans eat candy?
« on: March 12, 2004, 08:14 am »
I was chopping on a Twix last night when it occurred to me that most of the chocolate that's found in today's industry's either has milk or cream or some type of dairy products in it. So do you vegans eat candy..or is their a tofu alternative.
     Brian

DonkeyLips

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 05:39 pm »
I eat some candy....

I <3 Sour Patch Kids.

Vexxed

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 12:37 am »
I'm not a big candy person. My mom got me these amazing dark (but far from bitter) chocolates in different flavors which were very good; but I don't like them too often. Eating stuff like that tends to make me feel lazy. Every now and then I like pixi sticks. Pixi sticks are fun. There are quite a few candies vegans can eat, contrary to what most people think.

Loki

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 03:36 am »
i doubt tofu would be an alternative to candy.

That said, vegan chocolate is available, but it's usually dark chocolate. If you're after good chocolate, then look no further than green & blacks maya gold. It's suitable for vegans, but if anyone doesn't eat it, then they're missing out.

And generally, it's gelatin which most veg*ns tend to worry about in sweets. But there are plenty of animal-free ways to rot your teeth that i know of, and i do take advantage of them. My dentist doens't really like me for that! I've got typical British teeth.

Koda

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 12:42 pm »
There's tons of vegan candy :D

Loki

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 11:40 pm »
That said, I've probably eaten enough sugar today to last an atkins dieter for six months.

It's those damn cadbury's mini eggs. (Not vegan, but they are vegetarian.)

vegan_chic

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 12:33 am »
There are a lot of candies that are already vegan.  And then there are companies that specifically make vegan candy, usually chocolate candies and candies that would usually have gelatin in it.

VeganChick07

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 10:57 pm »
And generally, it's gelatin which most veg*ns tend to worry about in sweets.

Yeah thats my main problem. I've steered clear of milk in candy but gelatin's a tuffy. I love vegan chocolate chip cookies though -their my candy.    
(I dont press my lifestyle on anyone but myself)

Loki

Re: Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 09:24 pm »
Quote from: Terribilis
I was chopping on a Twix last night when it occurred to me that most of the chocolate that's found in today's industry's either has milk or cream or some type of dairy products in it. So do you vegans eat candy..or is their a tofu alternative.
     Brian

Don't be silly about a tofu alternative. I think that you overestimate the role that tofu plays in a non-meat diet. In seven years of vegetarianism, i have consumed tofu on probably less than ten occasions.

Most mconfectioners will generally shy away from using gelatin in their products, as this will be a turn off for many vegetarian customers. Gelatin is pretty much the most blatantly obvious animal product that isn't meat for msot people. Everyone knows that gelatin isn't a vegetarian product, and so many manufacturers will shy away from using it, if it's quite easy to.

As for chocolate, dark chocolate is often vegan. It really depends on the quality. If you're talking about cadbury's bournville, forget about it, that's rubbish chocolate - Green and blacks, lindt, or some company which knows what chocolate should be like is the best bet for a vegan looking for chocolate.

Most hard boiled sweets are vegetarian already, and often vegan. Chocolate is usually vegetarian, and seldom vegan. Mint chocolates are often vegan, as one should never mix milk and mint together. However, green and blacks mint chocolate throws honey in the mix, making it not vegan. Softer sweets are usually gelatin based, and aren't vegetarian.

Offline Metroid-Star890

• Madness? MADNESS? Yeah, pretty much.
  • Old Timer
  • I've got your Wife/Mother/Significant Other/Cat.
Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 02:31 pm »
I can imagine that if they are super strict vegans, they eat the gooey crunchy, fruity type candies.

I myself enjoy Gobstoppers. Mmmmm.....
Quote O' Da' Time Space Continum: "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"-Dalek, Doctor Who

Rediahs

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 11:47 pm »
You also need to be aware of LARD and SHORTENING in your sweets.

There were these snack cakes that I used to eat when I was younger, called Lune Moons... kinda along the same line as those Jos Louis (or however you spell them) or maybe if you aren't familiar with that, like some Little Debbie stuff.

Well anyway recently my parents bought them again, and being the wary vegetarian I am, I checked the ingredients... the Lune Moons contain shortening, but not just any shortening... shortening made from beef mallow.

I thought checking for gelatine was bad enough!  Now I check everything. It's a pain.

Loki

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 01:57 pm »
Most of the sweets I get say "Suitable for vegetarians" on them anyway.

Life is good.

ADuckie

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 11:27 pm »
Yup. I love dark chocolate. Always have. PLus there a bunch of soy alternatives out there. There's vegan marshmellow stuff now too. Soy milk chocolate ... we can eat alot of hard candy, and Swedish Fish. Swedish Fish is awesome.

currently_eating_steak

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2005, 12:20 am »
Anyone here had that "Chronic Candy?" It tastes exactly like marijuana, I kid you not.

Pita

Do vegans eat candy?
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 02:43 am »
really? where do I buy that stuff?  :lol:

* H$U$

Thinking of donating to H$U$?

Someone who takes Wendy Malick or Wayne Pacelle up on their infomercial request for "just $19 dollars a month" will pay HSUS $228 over the course of a year. Of that, just $1.03 will reach a pet shelter.

Change Look

Forum Default

Permanently