Author Topic: How long can a deer be dead before it's ruined?  (Read 5432 times)

Offline londonandlawson

• Old Timer
How long can a deer be dead before it's ruined?
« on: November 30, 2005, 09:03 am »
You know, before the meat goes bad?  And have you ever picked one up off the side of the road that was hit by a car?

Biohunter

Re: How long can a deer be dead before it's ruined?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:09 am »
In most states it is legal to pick up roadkill.  As long as it's not bloated or foul smelling it's probably OK

The problem is that roadkill tends to have alot of internal damage.  All the shit from the digestive system spills out and taints the meat.

Also, blood-shot meat is pretty much unedible too.

(Well, so I've heard... :28:)

Offline PeTArd Trapper

• Old Timer
  • Save a groundhog, shoot a PeTArd...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 12:08 pm »
Temperature plays the biggest role. If it is 10 degrees out the deer can be good a few hours later if the guts didn't blow inside and taint meat from when it was hit and killed. I did once pull a roadkill within an hour or 2 or so of death and the meat was fine. Was about 50 degrees out and raining. Another one was like 3 hours later and was colder but I smelled the meat and it was a lil funky, so I gave it to a neighbor to feed his coon hounds.

Basically, the difference is when the deer was gutted and weither the guts had been busted at death or not. Get the deer off the road soon after death and if the guts weren't busted inside, you have good meat.

Here is a gauge for roadkill coons and foxes and the like. Since you won't be eating them and just taking the fur, they can lay longer, however if they are out all day in warm temps or with sunlight on them, they may be too tainted for the fur, unless it is way below freezing when the sun was hitting them. Fox fur will slip from taint before a coon does. First the ears and belly. I HAVE skinned foxes that were shot and left for 2 days in above freezing temps, stinky as all get out with green bellies, but fur was still ok for just the fur ( not for taxidermy).

"Bodymore, Murderland" ( "The Wire")

Offline Wisconsin

• Official PeTA-Sucks flirt
  • Get a Life Club
  • Given the dog a bone
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:55 am »
Temp is the biggest factor.In WI we have a 9 day gun season for deer,it starts the Sat before Thanksgiving.When we hunt at the cabin we hang our deer for the intire 9 days outside,we dont take them to register them until we are headed home..If the temp is below freezing the meat will still be good even if its a few days after its dead before you cut it up,as long as there is nothing wrong on the inside contaminating the meat.

London I have offered you a deer before if you want one.We only live maybe 30 mins away from each other so if you want one just give me the word.
Fuck you liberals

Offline kevthebassman

• The Deer Slayer
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 01:04 am »
Meat needs to hang out for a little while to "age" just a bit before it is good to eat.  If it's cold out, a week or more is needed to get the meat to it's full flavor potential.  Same with beef, pork, etc.

Mmmmmmm, tasty.

Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776:
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Offline Wisconsin

• Get a Life Club
  • Given the dog a bone
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 01:06 am »
Meat needs to hang out for a little while to "age" just a bit before it is good to eat.  If it's cold out, a week or more is needed to get the meat to it's full flavor potential.  Same with beef, pork, etc.

I agree.
Fuck you liberals

Biohunter

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 08:41 am »

Exactly.  I'm not sure how I got on the road kill rant?  In college on the coast, we let my roomates deer hang in the garage for 5 days.  REMEMBER, IT WAS VERY COOL OVER THERE.  But several days, makes for better meat.

Offline PeTArd Trapper

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 12:35 pm »
It needs to be fridge temps for aging and consistant that same temp range the whole time. I am talking 35-40 degrees for the best aging temps. Ideally a meat cooler set at 33 or 34 degrees is best. You don't want too warm or the bacteria will bloom and you will end up with tainted meat. BTW if you want a mount of the deer or whatever, cape it out fresh and bring the cape and head to the taxidermist as soon as possible, or freeze it right away. Do not let the skin stay on the deer for the aging period unless you have the temp at mid 30's range and the deer is never in any sunlight. Be careful of hanging the deer upsidedown, or the head may swell up with blood. If possible hang it by the antler bases so the carcass hangs butt down, then when ready to skin, take it down and then hang up by the back hocks. Do not hang a deer for a mount by a rope around the neck, you will get rope burn and "snare mark" on the  neck.

BTW do not age the tenderloins, aging is detrimental to these. Remove fresh. These are the ones inside the body cavity against the spine. Fresh backstrap is good too, but you have to skin the deer to get at these.

If anyone wants tips on caping let me know. Also skinning fur animals. BTW if you shoot a coyote or fox or whatever and want a mount, either deliver very fresh to the taxidermist or freeze the animal right away, laying it out in the freezer, not balling it tight. Laying out straight allows it to cool and freeze faster reducing any belly taint worries. Do not gut furbearers and small games for mounting. Once the animal is cooled out and freezing, put in a plastic bag and seal it.

Biohunter

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 08:48 pm »

If anyone wants tips on caping let me know. Also skinning fur animals. BTW if you shoot a coyote or fox or whatever and want a mount, either deliver very fresh to the taxidermist or freeze the animal right away, laying it out in the freezer, not balling it tight. Laying out straight allows it to cool and freeze faster reducing any belly taint worries. Do not gut furbearers and small games for mounting. Once the animal is cooled out and freezing, put in a plastic bag and seal it.

Any tips on skull bleaching?

Offline Wisconsin

• Get a Life Club
  • Given the dog a bone
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 09:24 pm »
Put the skull on a ants nest! Works great!
Fuck you liberals

Offline PeTArd Trapper

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 03:31 am »
Best way to clean a skull is to put it in a bucket of water in the hottest weather and let it rot down. Do not put more than 1 skull to a bucket as the teeth will fall out and you don't want to play puzzle teeth when gluing them back in. This is a stinky proceedure btw, so if you are close to nieghbors don't do it. When the meat has all fallen off the skull and it is clean, wash it good and pick out all the teeth and whatever may have come loose. Then put it all in a bucket of peroxide, same stuff you buy at the store, and let soak 12 hours. Remove, allow to dry, then glue the teeth and all back in with epoxy.

If you have big anthills that works too, just be sure to put the skull in a staked down fine mesh cage so that critters don't run off with the skull, and so that if a tooth falls out it will be in the mesh cage and not lost.

Both methods work for any skull, deer, bear, coyote, an  ALF person you shot LOL, whatever

Biohunter

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 08:43 am »

Both methods work for any skull, deer, bear, coyote, an  ALF person you shot LOL, whatever

Thanks, this is going to make a sweet Bongo set. :6:

Offline Probie

• Peta Sucks SECURITY Proud MichigANIAC!!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 06:02 pm »
You know, before the meat goes bad?  And have you ever picked one up off the side of the road that was hit by a car?

Oddly enough about 6 years ago I was on the way home from the butcher market after picking up my processed deer and somone about three cars ahead of me hit a buck running across the road(obviously he didn't look both ways first)and I threw him in the back of my truck,took him home and gutted/washed him out and drove him right back to the butcher market.
You want to know how to get peace, love and understanding? Who doesn't know this? The Ku-Klux-Klan? The Black Panthers? Child rapists? How do you get peace, love and understanding? First of all you have to find all the bad people. Then, you kill them."-Ted Nugent

Work harder...people on welfare are depending on you!

No guns, no freedom, know guns, know freedom.

Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians -except for the occasional mountain lion steak. - The Nuge

Do work son.

* H$U$

Thinking of donating to H$U$?

Someone who takes Wendy Malick or Wayne Pacelle up on their infomercial request for "just $19 dollars a month" will pay HSUS $228 over the course of a year. Of that, just $1.03 will reach a pet shelter.

Change Look

Forum Default

Permanently